Okay, okay, I’m going to tell you what Hermione sees in Ron.
A trio is a balancing act, right? They’re equalizers of each other. Harry’s like the action, Hermione’s the brains, Ron’s the heart. Hermione has been assassinated in these movies, and I mean that genuinely—by giving her every single positive character trait that Ron has, they have assassinated her character in the movies. She’s been harmed by being made to be less human, because everything good Ron has, she’s been given.
So, for instance: “If you want to kill Harry, you’re going to have to kill me too”—RON, leg is broken, he’s in pain, gets up and stands in front of Harry and says this. Who gets that line in the movie? Hermione.
“Fear of a name increases the fear of the thing itself.” Hermione doesn’t say Voldemort’s name until well into the books—that’s Dumbledore’s line. When does Hermione say it in the movies? Beginning of Movie 2.
When the Devil’s Snare is curling itself around everybody, Hermione panics, and Ron is the one who keeps his head and says “Are you a witch or not?” In the movie, everybody else panics and Hermione keeps her head and does the biggest, brightest flare of sunlight spell there ever was.
So, Hermione—all her flaws were shaved away in the films. And that sounds like you’re making a kick-ass, amazing character, and what you’re doing is dehumanizing her. And it pisses me off. It really does.
In the books, they balance each other out, because where Hermione gets frazzled and maybe her rationality overtakes some of her instinct, Ron has that to back it up; Ron has a kind of emotional grounding that can keep Hermione’s hyper-rationalness in check. Sometimes Hermione’s super-logical nature grates Harry and bothers him, and isn’t the thing he needs even if it’s the right thing, like when she says “You have a saving people thing.” That is the thing that Harry needed to hear, she’s a hundred percent right, but the way she does it is wrong. That’s the classic “she’s super logical, she’s super brilliant, but she doesn’t know how to handle people emotionally,” at least Harry.
So in the books they are this balanced group, and in the movies, in the movies—hell, not even Harry is good enough for Hermione in the movies. No one’s good enough for Hermione in the movies—God isn’t good enough for Hermione in the movies! Hermione is everybody’s everything in the movies.
Harry’s idea to jump on the dragon in the books, who gets it in the movies? Hermione, who hates to fly. Hermione, who overcomes her withering fear of flying to take over Harry’s big idea to get out of the—like, why does Hermione get all these moments?
[John: Because we need to market the movie to girls.]
I think girls like the books, period. And like the Hermione in the books, and like the Hermione in the books just fine before Hollywood made her idealized and perfect. And if they would have trusted that, they would have been just fine.
Would the movies have been bad if she was as awesome as she was in the books, and as human as she was in the books? Would the movies get worse?
She IS a strong girl character. This is the thing that pisses me off. They are equating “strong” with superhuman. To me, the Hermione in the book is twelve times stronger than the completely unreachable ideal of Hermione in the movies. Give me the Hermione in the book who’s human and has flaws any single day of the week.
Here’s a classic example: When Snape in the first book yells at Hermione for being an insufferable know-it-all, do you want to know what Ron says in the book? “Well, you’re asking the questions, and she has to answer. Why ask if you don’t want to be told?” What does he say in the movie? “He’s got a point, you know.” Ron? Would never do that. Would NEVER do that, even before he liked Hermione. Ron would never do that."
- WALKING TO THE FOREST TO DIE everything from harry waking up in dumbledore’s office to voldemort killing him is just exquisite — harry’s realisation that dumbledore had been grooming him for death and harry being hyperaware of his own body, “brain and nerve and bounding heart” is all so gorgeous and sad and wonderful, and he’s so brave. HE’S SO BRAVE. I’M SO FUCKING SAD IT’S BEEN 7 YEARS
- destroying dumbledore’s office i love this scene because after 4 books of harry keeping shit to himself and sitting on his feelings you get lots of minor, small explosions post-cedric dying and then THIS, it’s a NUCLEAR BOMB OF ANGER and it’s so satisfying to read but also the most painful thing in the world, ever
- politely asking the sphinx to move, please this cracks me up every time. if someone was like show me ONE THING that DEFINES harry james potter AS A HUMAN AND A CHARACTER i would show them this scene. life-threatening wizard competition. dangerous magical creature. “can you move, please?” my son
- torturing amycus after he spit on mcgonagall this means A Lot to me because harry just straight up crucios that fucker without any hesitation or warm-up and puts so much feeling behind it. anything where harry is morally grey is my favourite because he’s The Saviour and the Master of Death and it’s like yeah, and he just crucio’d a dude so hard he flew across the room and passed out
- "you don’t have to call me ‘sir’, professor" any scene where harry backchats snape is fantastic but i distinctly remember reading this scene and being like OOOHHHH OOOOOHHHH SICK BUUURRNNNN OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
"If you pay attention, there is a very important scene in the Room of Requirement when the fire is personified in each Hogwarts House. This shows that every House has two sides. Good and evil." - David Yates.
if helga hufflepuff isn’t ur favorite founder then ur wrong because when all the other founders were like ‘i’ll teach the smart ones’ and ‘i’ll teach the aristocratic ones’ and ‘i’ll teach the ones who r willing to fight bears with their teeth’ helga was just like ‘fuck that i’ll teach anybody who wants to learn’ and thats how u do education
I HAVE SO MANY THING I WANT TO ASK TAKE A SEAT, HAVE SOME CUPCAKES, WE’LL BE HERE AWHILE
- Why does the Wizarding World not have a democracy system?
- Seriously, can you explain to me why wizards do not use normal paper and pens??
- Do they use them in other countries, or is it just Britain where they’re really backwards?
- How much do wizards know about the human body and things such as physics? Do they bother learning these things?
- How important is chemistry to wizards?
- Do wizards even really know about the elements or is the periodic table antiquated in comparison to whatever wizarding chemists use?
- Do wizards have different names for certain elements?
- Were many of the groundbreaking scientists of the muggle world actually wizards?
- Do wizards understand things like radioactivity and electrical currents and molecular science?
- Do wizards study things like the laws of physics or genetics or evolution?
- Are there wizards that work with muggle scientists to better understand the world because wizarding science is lacking
- What about wizards and biology and geology? Surely they need to know biology for Care of Magical Creatures?
- I know wizards study astronomy but does it just involve telescopes for them? How much do wizards know about outer space and the universe outside of planetary alignment and constellations?
- Are wizardborn kids basically expected to have their full life’s vocabulary and spelling/math/life skills by the time they hit Hogwarts at age 11?
- Are they supposed to continue to be homeschooled during their summer?
- Why aren’t there maths and spelling lessons at Hogwarts? Or are there maths and spelling and such classes?
- Does Hogwarts have elective classes like languages or wizarding literature or wizarding art?
- Are there wizarding colleges and institutes for wizards that want to study literature or languages or art or design? Maybe in other countries?
- Are muggleborns gradually filling up positions at the Ministry of Magic and other such companies and employers due to their extra education? (PENS) Do Muggleborns in the wizarding workplace bring in muggle methods to the office to make their work more efficient? LIKE USING PENS GOSH How much of what muggleborns bring into wizarding environments is picked up on by wizardborns? Do the stuck-up pureblood families like the Malfoys resent the fact that muggleborns are dominating the workplace and complain about it in a fashion not unlike the whole “Goddamn Immigrants Stealing Our Jobs” thing Does this drive them further into the stubborn old ways of quills and robes and candles?
- How do wizarding households keep their food fresh? Do they use ice boxes? Are there charmed cabinets to keep the milk cold? Are there refrigerators? HOW?????
- Do wizarding houses generally look different than muggle houses?
- Do wizards ever move into muggle-built houses?
- WHY DON’T ELECTIRCAL COMPANIES GET SUSPICIOUS THAT THESE HOUSES AREN’T USING ELECTRICITY?
- Do all wizards use potions and ingredients as medicine for everything or does aspirin have a place in a wizarding medicine cabinet?
- Are there wizarding grocery stores?
- So where does the wizarding world stand on mental illnesses? This has been brought up so many times by different people, but I really want to know. Do they recognise mental illnesses? Is there stigma surrounding mental illnesses? Do they have potions and spells to treat depression, do they have counsellors? Is this treatment free?
- If dementors are a metaphor for depression, does that mean casting a patronus is a form of treating depression? Do kids with depression find it easier or harder to produce patronuses?
- Some other sports are mentioned in Quidditch Through the Ages, but I want to know more. Do they have sports that aren’t just played on broomsticks? How come there aren’t more obese wizards?
- I want to know more about how the Second Wizarding War affected the characters.
- I want to know about Andromeda Black falling in love with Ted Tonks
- Where do wizards stand on things such as gender? Do they accept trans wizards/witches?
- Are there legal procedures where wizards can change their gender? What about potions and spells to change their physical genitalia?
- What about sexual orientation? Are wizards accepting of this or not? Is gay marriage legal in the Wizarding World?
- What about disabilities in the Wizarding world? What magic has been developed to help disabled wizards? Magical wheelchairs? Spells to help avoid over-stimulation in autistic wizards?
- What about sign language? Do wizards use sign language?
- How exactly does Ollivander remember every wand he’s sold?
- Has the ministry not realised how shit the Trace is? Why has no one come up with a better way of tracking underage magic?
- Why has no one protested against the use of House Elves before?
- How common are muggleborns and squibs? How does wizard genetics even work? IS ANYONE STUDYING THIS SHIT???
- What about wizards and witches of different religions who go to Hogwarts? Do they get to have feasts for their religious festivals too?
- WHO WAS DORCAS MEADOWES AND WHY DID VOLDEMORT KILL HER PERSONALLY?
- Is there an actual reason as to why magical creatures are described as magical and hidden from muggles? Because if muggles had not been hidden from them, they would have just accepted the creatures as strange and fascinating
- Why do they not study things such as music at Hogwarts if they want to? How do they get singers and bands in the Wizarding World if the main wizarding school doesn’t teach music?
- Are there magical musical instruments?
- How common are wizarding concerts?
- So I get that they can’t use phones, so is using fire to communicate with each other (Flooing like Sirius and Harry do) like the equivalent of phoning? So why is this not more common? Why don’t Hogwarts students floo-phone their parents?
- What about sex education in the Wizarding world/at Hogwarts? Contraceptive spells and morning-after potions??
- WHY IS THERE NO REGULATION ON LOVE POTIONS?
- WHAT ABOUT RAPE CAUSED BY LOVE POTIONS WHICH IS ESSENTIALLY A DATE RAPE DRUG?
- WHAT ABOUT ABORTIONS? CAN YOU GET ABORTIONS IN THE WIZARDING WORLD OR IS IT REALLY TABOO?
- Why is there no Wizard university? Surely there’s more magic to learn than is learnt at Hogwarts?
- I MUST KNOW ABOUT WIZARDING CULTURES IN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES, WHAT ABOUT ASIAN CULTURES AND NATIVE AMERICAN WIZARDING CULTURES AND INUIT CULTURES AND AUSTRALIAN CULTURES
- Did the Wizarding community take part in gross things in history such as colonialism?
- Is there racism in the Wizarding world?
- Do the different brands of magic factor into the abundant racism in America? Like, is Native American magic thought of as crude by white wizards, and do white wizards appropriate certain incantations and such in offensive ways?
- The spells taught at Hogwarts are all Latin-based. Are they based on other languages in different parts of the world? (Mandarin based spells in China, Hindu based spells in India)
- Why do Wizards take cats/owls/toads to school? Okay I get the owl, but why the cat and toad? Toad’s are bloody useless, and cats are cute and good pets, but if cats are allowed why not rabbits? Why not dogs?
- The mirror Sirius gave to Harry…. WHY ARE THESE MIRRORS NOT COMMON IN THE REST OF THE WIZARDING WORLD??
- WHEN DID LILY AND JAMES GET TOGETHER?
- WHEN DID THEY FIRST KISS?
- What was Remus doing before he got a job at Hogwarts? (Between the Potters dying and PoA)
- What about laws against child abuse and things in the Wizarding World? (Cause Neville being dangled out of a window and being nearly drowned on another occasion seems pretty dodgy to me ALSO SIRIUS’ HOME LIFE AND SITUATION, WHY DID NO ONE AT THE MINISTRY BE LIKE OH THIS WIZARDING FAMILY SEEMS LIKE IT’S ABUSING IT’S KID)
- I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ALL THE OTHER WIZARDING SCHOOLS
- Why the fuck is everything so dangerous in the Wizarding World? (The Triwizard tournament, Quidditch)
- Why is there only one team for each Hogwarts house? It seems unfair to me, since the chances of someone getting on are pretty slim.
- What about wizards who live in Scotland? Do they have to travel to London to take the train back to Scotland to go to Hogwarts?
- wHAT ABOUT RELIGION? Are there any Christian wizards or do they think Jesus was a wizard or do they just not believe it? Does their view of the Bible change because of them being wizards? Do they celebrate things like Christmas because of Christianity or is it because of pagan festivals?
- Is there a Wizarding Welfare system?
- What about St Mungos? Is it free to be treated there or do you have to pay?
- WHY THE FUCK WAS SIRIUS ALLOWED TO GO TO AZKABAN WITHOUT A TRIAL??? WTF IS WRONG WITH THE WIZARDING JUSTICE SYSTEM
- WHY IS AZKABAN THE ONLY WIZARDING PRISON? WHY ARE PEOPLE BEING SENT TO THE DEMENTORS FOR STEALING APPLES?
- Let’s face it, the House system is pretty messed up. That’s not even a question, I’m just saying
- Why are there no state schools for wizards to go to before they’re 11?
- Is there something like the UN for wizards? Why did no other country come and help when Voldemort was taking over?
- How do the Salem Witch Trials fit in with American magical culture?
- WHAT ABOUT CURRENCY AND MONEY?
- Is there a way of paying with cheques for really expensive stuff, or do you have to have a cart of galleons or something?
- How common is wizards being friends with muggles?
- Why are there no regulations on memory charms and memory modification?
- Are galleons the universal currency for wizards, or just for the UK?
- If wizards are fairly rare and there aren’t that many in the UK, what about tiny countries? Would they have like 3 wizards in?
- PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT WIZARDING TATTOOS? THEY CAN MOVE RIGHT YES OKAY
- DO YOU GET HOMELESS WIZARDS?
- DO WIZARDS KNOW ABOUT SHAKESPEARE AND C.S LEWIS AND LORD OF THE RINGS?
- HOW COMMON ARE FANTASY BOOKS WRITTEN BY WIZARDING AUTHORS
- WHAT IF YOU’RE A WIZARD WHO’S A VEGAN, HOW DO YOU DO POTIONS AND WOULD THEY USE WANDS SINCE THEY HAVE DRAGON HEARTSTRINGS/UNICORN TAIL HAIRS ETC
- WHAT ABOUT TAXES? HOW MUCH IS WIZARDING TAX?
- WHAT ABOUT CALLING THE POLICE??? HOW DOES THIS WORK? IS THERE A WIZARDING POLICE OR IS IT JUST THE AURORS?
- CAN CREATURES LIKE CENTAURS AND GOBLINS BECOME ANIMAGI??
- CAN YOU LEARN TO CHANGE YOUR PATRONUS OR ANIMAGI??
I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS UNIVERSE AND IT’S JUST A DUMB BOOK BUT IT’S NOT GAH
hufflepuff/slytherin friendships are the best and most terrifying thing ever because i am positive that if 2 people were two take over the world it would be a slytherin and a hufflepuff